Monday, January 4, 2010

Keeping Things Wholes, "Mark Strand"

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
too fill the spaces
were my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.


Explanation:
This poem relates the book A Long Way Gone because Ishmael is missing his family and he is what is missing from his family. Ishmael and his friends are walking around trying to find his family. When the poem talks about when the air is being parted, that makes me think about when he is somewhere no one knows because when he steps forward the air fills back in like he was never there. When the poem also says, "We all have reasons/ for moving" that makes me think that there is always a reason for moving on, trying to win!

No comments:

Post a Comment